Remap brightness shortcut on Surface Book

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
cikn97

Remap brightness shortcut on Surface Book

28 Dec 2016, 10:53

Hello, I have problem with remapping a key combination on my surface book. When I bought the surface book I was a bit disappointed that it does not feature keys that adjust the screen brightness, but instead keys that adjust the brightness of the keyboard backlight.
When I researched this issue I found that you can adjust the screen brightness when you hold down the fn-key and press delete (brightness up)/backspace (brightness down). This is better than only being able to change the brightness in the system-controls, but still not to my liking.
I then thought that I could just remap these key combinations (Fn+del and Fn+backspace) to other keys, but I just can't make it work. I looked for different programs that remap keys but none of them seem to be able to do this.
I have been using ahk for other things, but these were only scripts other people wrote, I do not know a lot about writing scripts. I understand that you remap keys like this

Code: Select all

a::b
and I can make this work with other keys, but in the list of keys and mouse buttons I can not find the fn key. Furthermore you can only adjust the screen brightness if you hold down the fn key, it does not work if you lock the fn-key by pressing it once. I could not find a solution to this problem and I would like to ask for help. Thanks in advance.

TL;DR I would like to remap a key to the key combination fn+del and another key to fn+backspace but I can't make it work because it seems the fn key is special.
connorwb93

Re: Remap brightness shortcut on Surface Book

10 Apr 2017, 04:24

I don't have a solution for you, but I also have a surface book and stumbled on your post and the fn-del/backspace command is incredibly helpful. Thanks.

I did play around with it for a second and the key history doesn't register the Fn key (or Fn+del). Odd.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”