Preserving existing Keyboard layout tricks?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
rokkyboy

Preserving existing Keyboard layout tricks?

03 Sep 2017, 05:45

Hello all,

After few years of using Autohotkey, I find myself staying away from using multiple modifier keys to save my fingers. However, using a single modifier key has limited mapping possibilities without interfering with existing mapped keys for day-to-day applications.

I've used Capslock as a modifier key for quite some time with good success.

Longest trick for me was to use NumLock to have the keypad mapped to most of my hotkeys. However, I had to remember to turn it off every time I pressed a key.

Not sure what the best fail-safe method would be, but I found that HIDMacros + Authotkey combination using a separate keyboard/keypad seems to be quite sound so that'd the route I am experimenting now. Having few difficulties with mapping HIDMacros right now but hopefully as I get more familiar, I'll get better.

I also recently came across somewhere in the forum where you can press a key, and it starts to intercept key presses so that you can map two keys to execute a command without the keys making any input anywhere else. This approach also sounds quite good as my right hand usually moves around but left hand stays where it is and I would be able to map most of the stuff to where my left hand is.

Chording method also seems useful, but usability doesn't seem to be all that wide and I always try to share my codes with colleagues, and I think some would have trouble with it being a bit counter intuitive.

Could you share what your tricks are for preserving your keyboard layout?

I'm sure there must be loads of good ideas out there!

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”