Really new to this, need help with macro

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
mcclarya

Really new to this, need help with macro

04 May 2018, 20:43

I am wondering if what I have in mind it possible. I was wanting to use the FN key+volume up/down on my keyboard to change the song. Are 2+ button macros possible and how. Any help would be greatly appreciated so that I don't have to tab out of screens to change the song all the time.
Exaskryz

Re: Really new to this, need help with macro

04 May 2018, 20:54

Fn key is difficult to use, because often not even Windows can see it, only the system BIOS. See https://autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm#SpecialKeys

See https://autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm#combo for how to do a custom combination of keys. You may be interested in doing just Ctrl+Volume Up/down, which can be accomplished with the pre-constructed modifier for Ctrl (^): ^Volume_Up::MsgBox Hello.
Exaskryz

Re: Really new to this, need help with macro

14 May 2018, 08:14

Ooh, I noticed that the Ctrl+Volume_Up hotkey ^Volume_Up:: does *not* work on my system as is. When I press the Ctrl key, it defaults to using the normal F1-F12 key functions. Take my keyboard as an example. F5 refreshes webpages, but I need to press Fn+F5 to get the F5 behavior. Otherwise, it does the "bonus" behavior which is turning on my keyboard backlight. But if I press Ctrl+F5, I get Ctrl+F5 effect of a hard-refresh of the webpage; I do not have to press Ctrl+Fn+F5.

Same thing just happened here. My Volume_Up key is shared by the F8 key; if I press Ctrl+F8, I am doing Ctrl+F8, not Ctrl+Volume_Up.

So, maybe what you need to do Fn+Volume_Up/Down is just remap to the F7/F8 keys. Otherwise, if there are no shared keys on that key, you should be able to use Ctrl+Volume_Up/Down just fine.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”