Suitability of AHK to simulate several hours of PC usage?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
johnny256ahk

Suitability of AHK to simulate several hours of PC usage?

04 Dec 2014, 08:19

Hi,

I'm new to AHK, I found it after looking at some of the commercial automation tools out there. While I am getting a flavour of the flexibility and power of AHK 1.1 (COM, DLL, window messages, etc) the focus doesn't quite seem to match my desired use so I wondered if someone can tell me how good a fit it would be?

I want to be able to emulate an operator working away on our suite of applications on a workstation PC, for long/indefinite periods. They don't have to be doing anything incredibly smart but for example might have to open a "New Order" window, create a new order, then go to a separate "Pending Orders" window and open the new order and interact with it somehow.

More than that, this isn't something I want to do on a hot-key, but simply start AHK running and it will indefinitely loop, or loop for some user-specified number of minutes/hours. Maybe just repeating the "create new order, look up order, process order" task, maybe doing several tasks in sequence or even randomly picking a task from a list of 5 different ones each time.

The idea is we then run this on all the test workstations at once to simulate maximum system load. Ideally, all controlled from one PC over the network but that's not crucial (we can use RDP or an external script to run AHK on each PC remotely).

So without necessarily telling me how to solve any specific steps (though ideas are welcome), can experts advise if this is a good fit for AHK or fundamentally not what the tool is designed to do? I seem not to be using the "HotKey" functionality of "AutoHotKey" :)
evilC

Re: Suitability of AHK to simulate several hours of PC usage

04 Dec 2014, 09:57

Hi,
AHK would be fine I think - yes it was originally intended to do hotkeys, but it can do so much more than that.

I think the windows automation tools (make a certain window active, click mouse at certain point, type keys etc) would prove very useful, but without the overhead of a language like C++ or C#

AHK also has many timing functions, and inherently keeps doing it's thing (And updating it's GUI, if it has one) even if not the active application.

I see no reason as to why anything you mentioned here could not be done with AHK.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”