Can Windows or the active program tell the difference between AHK and real keypresses?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Hoppipolla

Can Windows or the active program tell the difference between AHK and real keypresses?

22 Sep 2019, 18:38

Does anyone remember this silly scene in Simpsons where Homer gets a wooden pecking bird to press the Y key over and over?
download (13).gif
download (13).gif (959.78 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
Regardless, the reason I mention this is because I really want the keypresses I simulate (with autohotkey or whatever I use) to be THAT convincingly "organic", if that makes sense. So they're identical to a person sitting there pressing the key(s).

I've written autohotkey scripts using commands like Send and Controlsend. Does this achieve my goal? Or is it different somehow?

Thank you :)
Getfree

Re: Can Windows or the active program tell the difference between AHK and real keypresses?

22 Sep 2019, 19:20

Programs are, in fact, able to tell the difference between physical keystrokes and injected keystrokes.
Whether a program cares to check that, is another story.
Most program don't mind whether keystrokes are real or simulated. Those that do mind, like games, will ignore injected keystrokes entirely.
This applies to keystrokes and clicks injected by the send, sendinput and similar functions.

On the other hand, there's also the possibility to simulate keystrokes via a virtual driver. This will make the operating system believe that the keystrokes come from an actual hardware device (because that's what a virtual driver is emulating).
Keystrokes simulated this way are indistinguishable from physical keystrokes.
Hoppipolla

Re: Can Windows or the active program tell the difference between AHK and real keypresses?

22 Sep 2019, 19:58

Getfree wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 19:20
On the other hand, there's also the possibility to simulate keystrokes via a virtual driver. This will make the operating system believe that the keystrokes come from an actual hardware device (because that's what a virtual driver is emulating).
Keystrokes simulated this way are indistinguishable from physical keystrokes.
Ah yes I considered that something like this might be worth doing. Do you know how I could do it?

I would need to download a virtual driver from somewhere? It would be like I just attached a second keyboard to my computer?
Capn Odin

22 Sep 2019, 23:16

The thing is that it still only takes them knowing the driver that you used to test for it.
Please excuse my spelling I am dyslexic.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”