Dual Keyboards With Macros Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
ceephis

Dual Keyboards With Macros

27 Jul 2021, 16:34

Ok all

Here is my totally weird situation.

About 3 year ago i suffered a medical emergency and have been unable to work since. (To see our story and contibute feel free to click this link.)
https://gofund.me/b341dd2f

I found aut hot key years ago when I would continually bash the caps key on my laptop and I simply disabled it and made it a shift key :) SUPER WIN! worked flawlessly for years.

Now however I can not have my hands together to type (without terrible pain) and I am going to try to get 2 separate USB keyboards mounted on my therapeutic chair so I can type again.

I am wondering if Auto hot key can take the inner parts of the two keyboards (which I will not be using) and make them into macro keys? while keeping the rest of the keyboards stock?

I am going to try to use 2 logitech k400 keyboards velcroed to a board.

Andy thoughts on if this is even doable? or if I should just not worry about it.

I am looking to get bck into programming, (as I am not healthy enough to do anything else) and some macros would be crazy helpful for the repetative parts of the language.

Just FYI. The keyboards are both K400's bu one is a k400r so maybe the PC or Autohot key can decern them apart.

Thank you all again for your help and wisdom on this.
gregster

Re: Dual Keyboards With Macros  Topic is solved

27 Jul 2021, 16:46

By default, Windows (and AHK) will not distinguish between the inputs of two separate keyboards.

But libraries like AutoHotInterception (AHI) by evilC can help with that: see https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45307

It's not a super-trivial topic - make sure to read the documentation on the linked github page (from the first post), especially for the setup, as you will need to install an additional third-party driver.
Then, I guess you'll have to identify the individual device IDs of your two keyboards, and go from there.
ceephis

Re: Dual Keyboards With Macros

28 Jul 2021, 10:20

Thanks so much for this reply and for pointing me in the right direction

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”