AutoHotkey no longer running at startup

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Lee James

AutoHotkey no longer running at startup

21 Sep 2021, 02:27

Please can anyone help?

I've happily used AutoHotkey for years, but ever since I ran a system cleanup utility, AutoHokey no longer runs at startup, even after I've uninstalled and reinstalled it. I can manually launch MyHotkeys.ahk, but even when I do that, it no longer works in all programs, only some.

The program that caused this problem was a small Microsoft utility called "Autoruns" which lets you identify (and delete) a bunch of broken startup links where the file no longer existed. Thinking back, I think one of the startup links deleted was C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey\MyHotkeys.ahk - No idea why Autoruns identified this as a broken link, but I trusted it! Maybe you guys can try Autoruns yourself and see what it reports?
Spawnova

Re: AutoHotkey no longer running at startup

21 Sep 2021, 03:34

AutoHotKey doesn't run on startup, you would have to specify a script/exe as a startup process

You can find the startup folder here assuming local disk is c:\> C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, create a shortcut to your program and paste it here to have it start with windows
swagfag

21 Sep 2021, 04:44

if ur hotkeys don't work in select programs given they used to previously, the programs are probably ran as admin, but ur script wasnt
Lee James

22 Sep 2021, 05:00

Thank you both! The problem with it not working in some programs was indeed the Administrator privileges issue.

And I had totally forgotten that AutoHotkey doesn't run at startup. Years ago I created a Scheduled Task to run it at startup!

Problem solved! THANK YOU! :-)

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”