Installing version 2 as update

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v2 or newer) and its commands and hotkeys
Pete N4ZR

Installing version 2 as update

20 Dec 2022, 16:54

I made a foolish mistake. I wanted to install version 2, and instead of removing Version 1 altogether through the Windows Add or Remove Programs function, I deleted the Version 1 executable. When I realized my mistake, I went into the Recycle bin and restored it, but still, when I try to run the Version 2 installer, it runs for something less than a second and then crashes. I tried running Microsoft's troubleshooter for this problem, but it did nothing to help. As a result, I no longer have my AHK functionality, which has been a lifesaver for 15 years (more or less).

Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks in Advance.
Pete Smith
Tensai

Re: Installing version 2 as update

20 Dec 2022, 18:31

It is not necessary to remove AHK V1, you can reinstall it. AHK V2 is not backwards compatible.
Use #Requires at the top of your scripts, the launcher will automatically attempt to select the appropriate exe.
Regarding the recycling bin, sometimes that causes an issue of a file "in use."
Try rebooting your computer and running the installer again. Antivirus can also interfere.

Hope this helps! :)
lexikos

Re: Installing version 2 as update

20 Dec 2022, 22:02

Crashes how?

Which version 1 executable? There are several.

You say you deleted the file and then restored it. If you didn't try to install or uninstall AutoHotkey in between, the AutoHotkey installation should have been in exactly the same state as before you deleted the file, so there should be no problem.

A user previously reported issues with v2 installation after having manually deleted AutoHotkey.exe, so the installer had already been adjusted to allow for it to be missing. But if you restored the file, that wouldn't be relevant.

Return to “Ask for Help (v2)”