disable touchpad

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v2 or newer) and its commands and hotkeys
marypoppins_1

disable touchpad

10 Apr 2024, 03:31

hello. i want to disable my touchpad (when a hotkey is pressed) and then re-enable when pressed again( basically a toggle). does anyone know of how we can alter the state of the touchpad? i'm asking because i've seen old laptops with the option to disable it but not sure how.
thanks in advance
marypoppins_1

Re: disable touchpad

17 Apr 2024, 06:56

kind reminder.
Draken

17 Apr 2024, 07:24

Code: Select all

; Ctrl+Shift+[ = Touchpad Disable
^+[:: {
Run ‘C:\Windows\System32\SystemSettingsAdminFlows EnableTouchpad 0’
return
}

; Ctrl+Shift+] = Touchpad Enable
^+]:: {
Run 'C:\Windows\System32\SystemSettingsAdminFlows EnableTouchpad 1'
return
}
https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoHotkey/comments/eflpdi/toggle_touchpad_onoff_in_windows_10/
Noitalommi_2

17 Apr 2024, 09:40

Hi.

Can't test it, but supposedly Win+Ctrl+F24 is the shortcut to activate/deactivate the touchpad.
RussF

17 Apr 2024, 09:58

Noitalommi_2 wrote:
Can't test it, but supposedly Win+Ctrl+F24 is the shortcut to activate/deactivate the touchpad.
I'm not sure where you found that information, but according to Microsoft at Keyboard shortcuts in Windows, there is no such standard shortcut. Additionally, given that any keyboard that is currently supplied with a computer does not have 24 physical function keys (you must order them separately), it wouldn't make sense for Microsoft to create a shortcut using F24 for a touchpad, especially since I don't know of ANY laptops that have 24 function keys. To access F24 on a normal keyboard, you press Shift-F12, making you suggestion become Win-Shift-Ctrl-F12 - entirely possible, but not documented by Microsoft. Perhaps a specific laptop model has something coded in it's BIOS to do that, but if so, more than likely, it uses the Func key to do it and is not universal.

Russ
Last edited by RussF on 17 Apr 2024, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
RussF

17 Apr 2024, 10:06

@marypoppins_1, FWIW, I personally can't stand touchpads. I always use a mouse with my laptop because I found that when I was typing, my hand or thumb would accidentally brush across the touchpad and often the cursor would end up halfway across the screen.

Most newer laptops have a settings panel for the touchpad where you can either permanently disable the TP, or only disable it when a mouse is plugged in. That is the setting I use because in the event I am using it away from my office and the mouse fails or batteries die, I can always fall back on the TP just by unplugging the dongle.

That's probably not exactly what you're looking for, but it's what I have to offer.

Russ
Noitalommi_2

17 Apr 2024, 10:42

RussF wrote:
17 Apr 2024, 09:58
Noitalommi_2 wrote:
I'm not sure where you found that information, but according to Microsoft at Keyboard shortcuts in Windows, there is no such standard shortcut. Additionally, given that any keyboard that is currently supplied with a computer does not have 24 physical function keys (you must order them separately), it wouldn't make sense for Microsoft to create a shortcut using F24 for a touchpad, especially since I don't know of ANY laptops that have 24 function keys. To access F24 on a normal keyboard, you press Shift-F12, making you suggestion become Win-Shift-Ctrl-F12 - entirely possible, but not documented by Microsoft. Perhaps a specific laptop model has something coded in it's BIOS to do that, but if so, more than likely, it uses the Func key to do it and is not universal.

Russ
Got it from here. Hidden Windows Key Hotkeys

So that works (Win F24 -- takes screenshot (as Win PrtSc)) F1::Send("{LWin down}{F24}{LWin up}")
The other key combination could also work, someone with a touchpad would have to test it.

Code: Select all

F1::Send("{LWin down}{LCtrl down}{F24}{LWin up}{LCtrl up}")
Edit:

this is cool:
BigDickEnterprise wrote: Win F16 -- Slide to Shutdown -- opens drop-down menu allowing you to shut the computer down. I don't know if this menu can be accessed in any other way, I've never seen it before.

Return to “Ask for Help (v2)”