Can AHK decect a chnage in pixel color? Clicking icon/ability in game.

Ask gaming related questions
Patrycy

Can AHK decect a chnage in pixel color? Clicking icon/ability in game.

24 May 2024, 06:09

Hey!

I haven't really used AHK much, but I'm playing some older games with very, very poor visual indicators. In fact, they are practically missing!

The only good visual indicator is an icon, which goes from grayed out when unavailable to colored.

I use 1, 2, 3 for attacks, but when the mob is buffed by magic, I need AHK to see that an icon has changed color, going from grayed to colored, and no matter if I'm pressing 1, 2, 3 (my basic attacks), AHK has to make me press g when it changes color, and it has to press it as a priority. So, the icon for dispelling now has color, but let's say, I'm still pressing 3 and AHK has go "NO! You're pressing g!".

I also have a different ability for dispelling myself, this has to be number 2 on the priority list.

So, g is available, g gets pressed, 4 is available (for is my ability that let's me dispel myself) it gets pressed second, even if I'm pressing 1, 2 or 3.

Of course I have a while lot of other buttons that I use, e for channeling abilities, z for finishers, etc. etc. so this only has to work on 1, 2 or 3.

I don't even know if I should be using AHK v2 or the other one.
Patrycy

Re: Can AHK decect a chnage in pixel color? Clicking icon/ability in game.

25 May 2024, 04:43

Sorry about the bad typing in my post.

I did find something similar to what I've requested:

viewtopic.php?t=90354

But it didn't seem to work, so I'm guessing that searching by pixel color is impossible or maybe very difficult?

Also, how would I go about finding coordinates x and y, and get the color of the pixel in that area? Wouldn't I need some type of AHK script for that as well?
boiler

25 May 2024, 05:38

To answer your earlier question, you should be using v2 as it is the actively supported version.

Patrycy wrote: But it didn't seem to work, so I'm guessing that searching by pixel color is impossible or maybe very difficult?
Searching for a color is straightforward using PixelGetColor.

Patrycy wrote: Also, how would I go about finding coordinates x and y, and get the color of the pixel in that area? Wouldn't I need some type of AHK script for that as well?
Not sure what you mean, but I think the answer to your question is to use the Window Spy tool that comes with AHK.
Patrycy

25 May 2024, 07:33

boiler wrote:
25 May 2024, 05:38
To answer your earlier question, you should be using v2 as it is the actively supported version.

Patrycy wrote: But it didn't seem to work, so I'm guessing that searching by pixel color is impossible or maybe very difficult?
Searching for a color is straightforward using PixelGetColor.

Patrycy wrote: Also, how would I go about finding coordinates x and y, and get the color of the pixel in that area? Wouldn't I need some type of AHK script for that as well?
Not sure what you mean, but I think the answer to your question is to use the Window Spy tool that comes with AHK.
Thank you for the help! I'm doing some progress.

I've tried out AutoHotkey Window Spy and when I hovered my mouse cursor over my grayed out icon it came up with the position 1385, 1302 this should be the x and y, axis correct?

It also did show the color 141414, so I'm guessing that this would be 0x141414, right?

So I have the the position and I have the color of the grayed out dispel icon.

Now when I'm pressing 1, 2 or 3 on my keyboard I need AHK to somehow notice that the color has changed to another one and when ever I press 1, 2 or 3 it has to make me press the "g" key. Something like:

Code: Select all

send {g Down}
send {g up}
Instead of 1, 2 or 3

The "g" key has to be the priority because there's also the "4" key, which is another different ability, which dispels myself, and 1, 2 and 3 keys are my main attacks.
boiler

25 May 2024, 09:32

Patrycy wrote:
I've tried out AutoHotkey Window Spy and when I hovered my mouse cursor over my grayed out icon it came up with the position 1385, 1302 this should be the x and y, axis correct?
Generally, yes. You need to pay attention to whether it’s screen, window, or client coordinates and may need to use CoordMode to adjust accordingly.

Patrycy wrote:
It also did show the color 141414, so I'm guessing that this would be 0x141414, right?
Yes. So you would get the color of the known pixel location and compare the result to that value.

Patrycy wrote:
Now when I'm pressing 1, 2 or 3 on my keyboard I need AHK to somehow notice that the color has changed to another one and when ever I press 1, 2 or 3 it has to make me press the "g" key. Something like:

send {g Down}
send {g up}
In v2, literal strings must be quoted. See the documentation for examples. What you showed would look like this:

Send '{g Down}'
Send '{g up}'
…however, unless you know you need to send the down/up, this should suffice:

Send 'g'

Patrycy wrote:
Instead of 1, 2 or 3
I’m not sure what you’re saying is needed, but it sounds like you would make these into hotkeys that when triggered, the would check the color of a pixel and send the G key when it should.
Patrycy

25 May 2024, 10:35

boiler wrote:
25 May 2024, 09:32
I’m not sure what you’re saying is needed, but it sounds like you would make these into hotkeys that when triggered, the would check the color of a pixel and send the G key when it should.
Yes, check if the icon changes color and:
Send '{g Down}'
Send '{g up}'
Just like you have said.

I'd like to try doing this with at least the "1" key for now.

Right now, ingame, 1 is just a normal slashing attack, but whenever the icon at 1385, 1302 changes color from 0x141414 to a different color, it has to check for it, and my next click, even if I press "1", has to be turned in to "g".

I also want to do the same for another ability, but "g" has to be a priority and "4" has to always be second on the priority list.

So let's say I'm attacking:

- The boss/mob gets buffed with magic
- I'm still pressing 1 on the keyboard
- AHK detects that "g" is available / icon (1385, 1302) changed color
- AHK presses "g" even if I am pressing 1, it essentially has to change "1" to "g" when the icon changes color

Scenario 2, I'm still attacking:

- The boss/mob uses a magic ability on me
- I'm still using "1" to attack
- AHK detects that "4" is available / different icon changed color
- Boss also just buffed himself
- AHK detects that "g" is available / icon (1385, 1302) changed color
- It first has to press "g" because "g" is an absolute priority and the boss has to be dispelled, then "4" because the negative effect applied to me it's less important, all while I'm still pressing "1"
Patrycy

26 May 2024, 04:28

I'm guessing it would have to start with something like:

#Persistent
x := 1385, y := 1302
SetTimer, Check, 1000
Right?

But I honestly don't know much about coding, I'm not even sure if it is possible to create such a script.

Also, the whole priority thing, I'm not sure if that can be coded either.
boiler

26 May 2024, 04:51

Patrycy wrote: I'm guessing it would have to start with something like:

Right?
Yes, but checking only every second seems like it’s overly infrequent, but I don’t play this game — or any games.

Patrycy wrote: But I honestly don't know much about coding, I'm not even sure if it is possible to create such a script.

Also, the whole priority thing, I'm not sure if that can be coded either.
Yes, it can be coded. That doesn’t mean your game will respond to virtual keypresses. Some don’t. So you should test that first.
Patrycy

26 May 2024, 05:31

boiler wrote:
26 May 2024, 04:51
Yes, it can be coded. That doesn’t mean your game will respond to virtual keypresses. Some don’t. So you should test that first.
How do I test that? Do I need some application or script?
Noitalommi_2

26 May 2024, 07:31

Hi.

Based on what I've read about this topic, here's an example script you could try out.

#Requires AutoHotkey 2.0
#SingleInstance

$1:: ; $ prefix to prevent that the hotkey trigger itself
$2::
$3:: {

if PixelGetColor(1385, 1302) = 0x141414 ; if Color is 0x141414 press 1,2 or 3
		SendEvent "{" SubStr(ThisHotkey, 2) "}"
	else ; if Color is not 0x141414 press g
		SendEvent "{g}"
}
Patrycy

26 May 2024, 09:38

Noitalommi_2 wrote:
26 May 2024, 07:31
Hi.

Based on what I've read about this topic, here's an example script you could try out.

#Requires AutoHotkey 2.0
#SingleInstance

$1:: ; $ prefix to prevent that the hotkey trigger itself
$2::
$3:: {

if PixelGetColor(1385, 1302) = 0x141414 ; if Color is 0x141414 press 1,2 or 3
	else ; if Color is not 0x141414 press g
		SendEvent "{g}"
}
Hey! Thanks for the help!

I didn't want to attack a horrifically powerful enemy, so I went to some lower level mobs and tried to test out something similar.

#Requires AutoHotkey 2.0
#SingleInstance

$1:: {
	if PixelGetColor(1007, 1052) = 0xF0D64D ; if Color is 0xF0D64D press 1
	else
		SendEvent "{5}"
}
The "5" key is just a short self buff that last 15 seconds and nothing critical.

Problem is that the script kinda did and didn't work.

When I pressed the "1" key I didn't get my standard slash attack, so I had to defend myself with "2" and "3".

The only thing that happened when pressing "1" was that I was using my 15 second self buff which is assigned to my "5" key, so essentially the "1" key became my "5" key.
Noitalommi_2

26 May 2024, 10:57

@Patrycy
PixelGetColor uses client coordinates unless otherwise specified with CoordMode.
Therefore, make sure you use the client coordinates provided by Window Spy.
Patrycy

26 May 2024, 16:08

Noitalommi_2 wrote:
26 May 2024, 10:57
@Patrycy
PixelGetColor uses client coordinates unless otherwise specified with CoordMode.
Therefore, make sure you use the client coordinates provided by Window Spy.
Thank you! It worked! I rebound some keys and used:

#Requires AutoHotkey 2.0
#SingleInstance

if PixelGetColor(1012, 1052) = 0xEACD8D ; if Color is 0xEACD8D press 1
	else
		SendEvent "{4}"
}
And it actually detected the color change! After a long fight with the game, which didn't want to go in to windowed mode I actually managed to get it to cooperate.

But how do I expend on it?

I have rebound some keys again and tried:

#Requires AutoHotkey 2.0
#SingleInstance

if PixelGetColor(1012, 1052) = 0xEACD8D ; if Color is 0xEACD8D press 1
	else
		SendEvent "{4}"
	if PixelGetColor(1316, 1236) = 0x3D3B3D ; if Color is 0x3D3B3D press 1
	else
		SendEvent "{6}"
}
But it only works at random.
Noitalommi_2

26 May 2024, 21:13

@Patrycy
Your second skript would always send two keys, but you only want to send one key per input.
Please try this:

#Requires AutoHotkey v2.0
#SingleInstance Force

if PixelGetColor(1012, 1052) != 0xEACD8D ; if unequal 0xEACD8D send 4
		SendEvent "{4}"
	else if PixelGetColor(1316, 1236) != 0x3D3B3D ; if unequal 0x3D3B3D send 6
		SendEvent "{6}"
	; put another "else if" with SendEvent here
	else ; else send 1 (if all skills are grayed out do the standard attack)
		SendEvent "{1}"
}
The more PixelGetColor you insert, the larger the delay becomes because each PixelGetColor call takes a few ms. (about a frame length)
Patrycy

27 May 2024, 17:28

Noitalommi_2 wrote:
26 May 2024, 21:13
The more PixelGetColor you insert, the larger the delay becomes because each PixelGetColor call takes a few ms. (about a frame length)
I get that, but it's working really perfectly! Can I mix the two scrips together?

Right now I'm using:

if PixelGetColor(1005, 1058) != 0x99614D ; if Color is not 0x99614D press 4
		SendEvent "{4}"
	if PixelGetColor(1367, 1041) != 0xFFEB90 ; if Color is not 0xFFEB90 press 6
		SendEvent "{6}"
	else
		SendEvent "{1}"
}
And it's working great, but should I use "else if" instead of "if" in the 4th line?

Also, can I mix both of the scrips? Add something like:

if PixelGetColor(1174, 1294) = 0xF01A09 ; if Color is 0xF01A09 press 3
	else
		SendEvent "{3}"
}
[Mod edit: Added [code][/code] tags.]

I'm just asking because the icons for different abilities change appearance/color, so 3 can only be activated once it's very red.
Patrycy

28 May 2024, 04:23

@Noitalommi_2

Also, is there some way I can speed up the key presses? So there's less of a delay?

I was also thinking about something I've found previously:

Label1:
	if PixelGetColor(1384, 1304) != 0x0E0F0E
		SendEvent "{g}"
return
And create something like:

viewtopic.php?t=45869

Then add Label 2 and 3

Problem is that I don't know how to write the whole Label thing in v2.

Anyway, I was thinking that if I can chop the whole thing in to little chunks, maybe I can quicken the whole script execution by adding Sleep 5000 to the mix? Because all of these abilities can be used every 5 seconds anyway. If the script knows that each of them can only be used only every few seconds, then maybe I can make it work much more smoothly? Or is there some other method to hasten the whole process? The animations also take about 0.3 to 0.4 of a second to finish.
Noitalommi_2

28 May 2024, 05:18

@Patrycy

Key presses require a small delay for the game to recognize them.
If you mean the delay caused by calling PixelGetColor multiple times, you can reduce this with GetMultiPixelColor from here.

But I don't understand what you're trying to do right now, can you please briefly summarize what your script should do and please write the coordinates with the corresponding action then I can perhaps write a suitable script as an example.
Patrycy

28 May 2024, 07:47

@Noitalommi_2
Noitalommi_2 wrote:
Key presses require a small delay for the game to recognize them.
If you mean the delay caused by calling PixelGetColor multiple times, you can reduce this with GetMultiPixelColor from here.
It seems very complicated, should I try to copy / paste some of this in to my code?
Noitalommi_2 wrote:
But I don't understand what you're trying to do right now, can you please briefly summarize what your script should do and please write the coordinates with the corresponding action then I can perhaps write a suitable script as an example.
I'll try.

Right now I have respecced my character a bit, so I'll give you some details of what I'm currently using. Keep in mind that this game has a global cooldown because it's an Alpha Single Player version of WoW with custom content, interface and all kinds of super bizzare stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW0vGqz1jXs&t=771s

I also switched some buttons around!

This is what I'm using currently for the script:

SendEvent "{y}"
So "y" is now my single target dispel, the icon changes color when the ability is available because the target has a magical buff. In my current build, this ability has now a cooldown of 7 seconds, but I can make it 5 seconds or 10 seconds, depending on the spec.

else if PixelGetColor(1005, 1058) != 0x99614D
		SendEvent "{u}"
"u" this is my buff, it now lasts 15 seconds and it increases my HP, also heals me

else if PixelGetColor(1366, 1040) != 0xE65217
		SendEvent "{i}"
"i" is a stronger attack on a 10 second cooldown.

And finally the 4th part:

else if PixelGetColor(1411, 1043) != 0x863BDD
		SendEvent "{o}"
	else
		SendEvent "{1}"
"o" and "1". "1" is of course my main attack that has no CD or anything, it's just a normal slash, but "o" is a special attack, it has no cooldown, but it requires me to build up rage (I have mana, rage and vigor as my resources), default rage is 0 and it grows as you fight, then spend it, and it can go down to 0, right now I have modified my interface to show rage in the form of an orb. It looks similar to this:

https://imgur.com/FR9S6e4

When attacks are on cooldown or not available (for example: due to a lack of rage or energy), the icons change color, so the only stable icon that's always the same color is assigned to the "1" key. They become a bit darker or grayed out like this, plus there's a small cooldown timer on the bottom, similar to this:

https://cdn-wow.mmoui.com/preview/pvw58541.jpg

The whole code I'm using now looks like this:

#Requires AutoHotkey 2.0
#SingleInstance

*~$1:: {
		SendEvent "{y}"
	else if PixelGetColor(1005, 1058) != 0x99614D
		SendEvent "{u}"
	else if PixelGetColor(1366, 1040) != 0xE65217
		SendEvent "{i}"
	else if PixelGetColor(1411, 1043) != 0x863BDD
		SendEvent "{o}"
	else
		SendEvent "{1}"
}
It's works, but it's just slow, that's why I'd like to speed it up or add some sleep, so that the scrip won't have to check so much, like Sleep 7000 for "y" or Sleep 5000 if I spec more in to dispelling more. Most of these abilities do have cooldowns anyway, and depending on my talents the wait times can be shortened or made longer.
Noitalommi_2

28 May 2024, 18:12

@Patrycy
Your last script needs around 67ms with all "else if" calls on my PC and I wouldn't call it slow, especially since the global cooldown in WoW is around 1.5s.
And I don't know how the script could be made noticeably faster, as the number of PixelGetColor calls is just to small. I mean, you could probably make it a little faster, but I doubt it would make much of a difference if the script ran 20ms faster.

What can cause problems is the tilde prefix, because it sends the original key of the hotkey before all pixels have been checked and I think that even triggers the global cooldown in the game, right?
You should not use the tilde prefix in this case and if you use the asterisk then there is no need for the $-prefix.
So this would be enough *1::

How fast does the script runs on your end?

Here's how you can test it:

*1:: {

start := A_Tickcount

if PixelGetColor(1302, 1393) != 0x4E5A2B
			SendEvent "{y}"
		else if PixelGetColor(1131, 1534) != 0xFFD970
			SendEvent "{u}"
		else if PixelGetColor(1302, 1681) != 0xE0E0E0
			SendEvent "{i}"
		else if PixelGetColor(1142, 1817) != 0x006600
			SendEvent "{o}"
		else
			SendEvent "{1}"

ToolTip A_TickCount-start "ms"
}
Patrycy

28 May 2024, 18:57

@Noitalommi_2

I have just tried it out, the most I get is about 63 ms and the least I get is about 17 ms, the whole thing is a bit inconsistent, if I could make it a little bit faster by that 20 ms that would be absolutely incredible! I don't know why, but the whole thing feels a bit unresponsive. I'm just noticing it as I play.

Return to “Gaming”