Sending keystrokes to Microsoft Teams running in the background

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
csongorvarga

Sending keystrokes to Microsoft Teams running in the background

Post by csongorvarga » 15 Sep 2022, 16:43

Hi All,

I have a macro keyboard and I want to configure some buttons to send Mute/UnMute, Camera On/Off, Leave meeting, etc hotkeys to my running Teams Meeting window. In most cases when I am in a meeting, I am checking my emails, updating a document, so Teams is usually not the active window.

I want to do the following: my macro keyboard send Ctrl+Alt+1 and when this happens I want to send a Ctrl+Shift+M to Teams. Ctrl+Alt+1 is just an example I will use a combination which is not used in any of my usual apps.

I noticed that when I am in a call, Microsoft Teams have a main window, but the meeting opens in another window. The window title is dynamic in both, so I cannot use that. Both of them are ahk_class Chrome_WidgetWin_1, ahk_exe Teams.exe. But at least I noticed that window that I used the last responds to ahk_exe Teams.exe. So as long as I used the Meeting window last, I can switch to hat using ahk_exe Teams.exe.

So far I crated this script:

Code: Select all

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
^+1::
WinActivate, ahk_exe Teams.exe
ControlSend, , ^+M, ahk_exe Teams.exe
return
Unless I WinActivate first, the ControlSend is not working. Well, I guess ControlSend with the ahk_exe Teams.exe is not working. But this is how I understand this from the help, the akh_exe needs to be used in the third parameter. Or am I doing something wrong?

If WinActivate is the only option, is there a way of storing the current active window and switching back to my previous window after ControlSend?

[Mod edit: Topic was moved from 'Scripts and Functions'.]

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”