Database

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Snowy42

Database

Post by Snowy42 » 02 Sep 2020, 20:36

I'm in the process of creating a store management system for work with AHK. I'm comfortable in this language and I'm confident I can make a polished product. However I'm considering the best way to be storing information. I've previously created small systems like this using a very sloppy system of folders and .ini and .txt files on the work server by using FileAppend and IniRead/Write. It worked but was very vulnerable to people accidentally deleting whole sections and it was also just really messy having hundreds of folders with a few text files and things in them.

I'm looking to improve on this concept by moving to a database, but my knowledge of using databases is practically nil. I have Microsoft Access available to me which might be a decent option for creating a database. I understand access is mostly just spreadsheet/s which I'm very comfortable with.
Otherwise I'd be looking for free alternatives - I know freemysqlhosting.net is a possibility in the short-term but I've got no idea what I'm doing with SQL.

Whichever way I go, I'd need some help in accessing/referencing/writing to the database within AHK coding.

Can anyone provide some direction here? Thanks in advance

w0z

Re: Database

Post by w0z » 02 Sep 2020, 21:38

One option would be to try with Sqlite, there is a class SQLiteDB https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1064&hilit=sqlite
that you can use to manage the databse.

Also there is a webinar where you can watch how to use it.
https://www.the-automator.com/autohotkey-webinar-sqlite3-with-autohotkey/
If I was helpful consider Donate me. :beer: , plz :D

Snowy42

Re: Database

Post by Snowy42 » 02 Sep 2020, 22:27

Thanks w0z, I might check that out. Glad there's a webinar for it. But it still kind of asumes you know how to setup and use SQL... I literally wouldn't have any clue where to start.

My alternative that I'm playing with at the moment is using a network accessible excel file and using Com to manage and modify the "database" file. I would also use FileSetAttrib to make the file readonly and a DLLCall with a #persistent script to make it unable to be deleted.

I'll play with the excel method first and see if it gets too cumbersome to handle on a large scale. If it gets too much I'll start training myself with SQL I think.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”