How to react to a popup?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Wpq

How to react to a popup?

Post by Wpq » 02 Mar 2021, 04:24

I have a popup coming from an application that requires to press OK so that the application can run. I would like to automate that with AutoHotkey.

I found on the old forum a perfect solution (https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/74282-how-to-react-to-appearance-of-a-window/):

Code: Select all

DetectHiddenWindows, On
Hwnd := WinExist(A_ScriptFullPath)
DllCall( "RegisterShellHookWindow", UInt,Hwnd )
MsgNum := DllCall( "RegisterWindowMessage", Str,"SHELLHOOK" )
OnMessage( MsgNum, "ShellMessage" )
Return

ShellMessage( wParam,lParam )
{
	WinGetClass, Class, ahk_id %lParam%
	If (Class = "Notepad")
        MsgBox Action goes here!
        return	
}
It is accepted by AutoHotkey but there is no reaction when opening Notepad. I believe that it must be modified for my environment (Windows 10, AHK 1.1.33.02, the post was from 2014) but I have no idea how.

Is such a solution that uses a hook still possible?
mikeyww

Re: How to react to a popup?

Post by mikeyww » 02 Mar 2021, 07:44

It worked when I tested it. The message box might appear before the Notepad window, putting Notepad in the foreground.
Wpq

Post by Wpq » 02 Mar 2021, 11:54

mikeyww wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 07:44
It worked when I tested it. The message box might appear before the Notepad window, putting Notepad in the foreground.
In fact when I launch Notepad (and the window appears) - nothing happens. I am a novice in AHK but my understanding is that a message box should pop up somewhere.
Is there a way to "debug" AHK, or trace the calls to make sure everything is executed (I reloaded my main script where all my AHK settings are - and in which I added the code block from the question)
mikeyww

Post by mikeyww » 02 Mar 2021, 12:28

Probably, but you'll need someone who knows more about DLL! Others on the forum here will know. You might also try running as admin.

Within the function, you could add a MsgBox or two, to see whether the function is being called, and what window classes you are seeing.

Is this your entire script-- nothing else in it-- and you have no other scripts running? Have you saved and run the script, so that its icon is visible in the system tray?

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”