Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Autohotkey: a beginner's video guide

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic
tndstudios
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Last active: Jun 07 2013 02:23 PM

I'm fairly certain that other beginner level tutorial videos exist, but I primarily made this so that when someone asks me "Why is Autohotkey so awesome?" ... I can just send them this video instead of trying to explain it myself. Note that I purposely made the code somewhat redundant to reduce any confusion... coding efficiency/tidyness can come after the fundamentals are learned in my opinion.

This tutorial covers:

Part 1)

-The send command

-Making the Send command only work for a certain window

Part 2)

-Manipulating a control using variables from Windows Spy (in this case, getting mousewheel to cycle through certain options in a dropdown menu).

strobo
  • Members
  • 359 posts
  • Last active: Mar 10 2015 08:13 PM

Really well done. This is, imho, also good promotion material.

Regards,
Babba

robert_ilbrink
  • Members
  • 561 posts
  • Last active: Nov 07 2019 05:14 PM

Great stuff. Shame the video ended after 6:48 (as if there was nothing more i.e. end of the timeline) the first time viewing. Reloading it in YouTube solved it. Very professionally made and at the right pace. Supplying the example scripts would even make it better.

tndstudios
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Great stuff. Shame the video ended after 6:48 (as if there was nothing more i.e. end of the timeline) the first time viewing. Reloading it in YouTube solved it. Very professionally made and at the right pace. Supplying the example scripts would even make it better.

Hmm... perhaps I could whip some example scripts to place into the YouTube description. Good suggestion thanks!

ruespe
  • Members
  • 567 posts
  • Last active: Dec 01 2014 07:59 PM

1+

and ...wow...what a voice!!! You are a professionel narator?

tndstudios
  • Members
  • 8 posts

1+

and ...wow...what a voice!!! You are a professionel narator?

Nope! Just some digital media nerd who happens to have done a lot of narrated content. I do get that a lot in reference to all the other video content that I do :)

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM
this is a great tutorial video

really broke down the programming stuff in basic terms for beginners.

frankly, this is good enough for the home page, imo

Grendahl
  • Members
  • 416 posts
  • Last active: Jul 07 2014 08:01 PM

Very nice!

Always have your scripts when you need them with Dropbox.

tndstudios
  • Members
  • 8 posts

I do plan on doing future tutorials as needed as Autohotkey is vital to my workflow in all applications. These tutorials will be made primarily be for those that I work with in the digital media field because I want to provide my volunteers/collegues the opportunity to make their virtual work environment as speedy, efficient, and comfortable as possible. It isn't easy to communicate the benefits of Autohotkey in text... I don't think anyone will argue much about that.

Autohotkey gets some heavy usage in the 3d program that I use (Lightwave), and it also serves as a bridge between applications due to its broader nature of controls. For instance, Lightwave doesn't normally update images on models automatically when I save them in my paint program, and the built in scripting language of Lightwave can't interact well (if at all) with external applications, so AHK enables me to keep the images in both programs in perfect sync so I can see my updates as I work.

It is also cool to be able to create "standardized" functions that can apply to all of my programs in a context-sensitive matter... just having window-dependant ctrl+shift+click menus has made my life significantly easier.

The point is... AHK is a program that benefits everyone, no matter what they are doing on their computer and I hope to show fellow 3d media producers how AHK can allow them to do things that simply are not possible with just Lightwave alone.

effect
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Apr 28 2013 05:48 AM
hello friend how are you tndstudios sincerely know exactly what I'm looking to use AutoHotkey to use on my beloved LIGHTWAVE I'm like your lightwave user and is a program that I'm from Venezuela and I love my English is bad but use the translator would like to be your friend comaprtir experiences in using lightwave and please a request for which searching I found this great forum and your program autohotkey well my question is there a keyboard shortcut to quickly switch between wireframe views, color wireframe, hidden line, skecht, wireframe shade, flat shade, and so on that I'm asking is cumbersome these out of sight when you're modeling for change of vision not know if I explained well my friend please i will like you to help me with this problem and that problem and tell searched and searched and can not find the keyboard shortcut await your prompt response

tndstudios
  • Members
  • 8 posts

For single objects, there are already hotkeys in Lightwave that allow you to toggle the various view modes on a single object. I've set up my ctrl+LMB buttons to bring up menus natively. AHK is better used for things you can't achieve in a program (IE: You can't assign mousewheel up/down to any functions in Lightwave, AHK works good in this case).

For global view modes i'm afraid it is less simple and would require some knowledge of lscript that I do not posess. AHK cannot see many of Lightwave's menus/buttons due to how it is set up, and while you can use an image to guide mouse clicks, the view window is situated in such a way where it requires you to scroll, which throws a wrench into the reliability of an image-based script.

TheNepheloid
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Last active: May 02 2013 11:51 AM

Hi! What an excellent tutorial! I've gone ahead and added you to my recommended channels section at http://www.youtube.c...er/TheNepheloid.
My own tutorial is outdated, and I intend to start posting a few 2-3 minute tutorials on more specific functions of autohotkey in a few days.

Edit: Here is the first of my 2-3 minute tutorials:

tndstudios
  • Members
  • 8 posts
Something I really feel needs coverage is the #ifwinactive, which is slightly different from regular ifwinactive. It is an easier method of getting context-sensitive hotkeys than the method I explain in the video (less code required to give keys unique functions for certain windows).

IE: This script changes what is sent depending on which window is open (notepad, or notepad++?)

#ifwinactive Untitled - Notepad
f5::
Send test1
#ifwinactive
return

#ifwinactive ahk_class Notepad++
Send test2
#ifwinactive
return

(I like to use 2 ifwinactives because if I decide to put any functions below the hotkey script, it won't be affected by the ifwinactive statement)

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM
i think the blank #ifwinactive that is used to reset everything should be placed outside the hotkey label. just so theres no confusion. #directives are not executed during the script, but rather before the script starts.

#ifwinactive Untitled - Notepad
   Send test1
return
#ifwinactive

autopie
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Apr 11 2014 01:05 PM

I had to create an account just to praise this tutorial, fantastic beginners tutorial and awesome voice+speed.