Recording Macros for AHK

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
ChrisOwl

Recording Macros for AHK

20 Oct 2020, 13:06

How do I record a macro for AHK?

I want to be able to record my mouse movements and keyboard strokes and turn it into code, which I can then edit (loop, change text, etc) and execute. Is this possible with AHK?

Thank you!
FanaticGuru

Re: Recording Macros for AHK

20 Oct 2020, 19:46

If you need something more robust, there is Pulover's Macro Creator.
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=63

FG
Hotkey Help - Help Dialog for Currently Running AHK Scripts
AHK Startup - Consolidate Multiply AHK Scripts with one Tray Icon
Hotstring Manager - Create and Manage Hotstrings
[Class] WinHook - Create Window Shell Hooks and Window Event Hooks
kashmirLZ

22 Apr 2024, 04:36

FanaticGuru wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 19:46
If you need something more robust, there is Pulover's Macro Creator.
viewforum.php?f=63

FG
Better to avoid it now. Pulover's become a pushover. He's been paid by Lavasoft to bundle their Adware Web Companion with his macro program.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoHotkey/comments/yy5ovn/warning_pullovers_macro_recorder_has_malware/

Go ahead, make an issue about it on Github, see how he responds.
rockitdontstopit

23 Apr 2024, 18:55

Better to avoid it now. Pulover's become a pushover. He's been paid by Lavasoft to bundle their Adware Web Companion with his macro program.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoHotkey/comments/yy5ovn/warning_pullovers_macro_recorder_has_malware/

Go ahead, make an issue about it on Github, see how he responds.
Can someone explain to me why this is such a big deal? Yes, if you install PMC on your pc there is an option to install a bundle. During the process it clearly asks if you would or would not like to install the additional software. If you choose not to install the bundle, as far as I know it doesn't install it on your pc. How is that "malware"?

Also you have the option of just using the portable version without installing anything (which I currently use). Why so much animosity towards PMC on this forum?

I use PMC in conjunction with ahk files and it's great. Would LOVE to see a PMC for ahk V2.
boiler

23 Apr 2024, 20:38

rockitdontstopit wrote: How is that "malware"?
He said adware, not malware. Big difference.

rockitdontstopit wrote: I use PMC in conjunction with ahk files and it's great. Would LOVE to see a PMC for ahk V2.
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=116603
gregster

24 Apr 2024, 03:03

rockitdontstopit wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 18:55
Why so much animosity towards PMC on this forum?
We still provide a subforum for it which you could see as a sign of good will (or perhaps bad judgment), although Pulover usually doesn't provide support anymore for his software.

Most regular AHK users just don't see the point to learn about a seemingly complicated interface with no real support, if you can easily write the code yourself and can get help with it in the forums. At least, Pulover users don't have to go far for the real deal ;)
rockitdontstopit

24 Apr 2024, 16:29

boiler wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 20:38
He said adware, not malware. Big difference.
The link provided contains "warning_pullovers_macro_recorder_has_malware".
gregster wrote:
24 Apr 2024, 03:03
Most regular AHK users just don't see the point to learn about a seemingly complicated interface with no real support, if you can easily write the code yourself and can get help with it in the forums. At least, Pulover users don't have to go far for the real deal ;)
PMC is superior in some respects and AHK is superior in some respects. It all depends on what you're using them for. PMC is much better and efficient if you're like me and use imagesearch, ocr, and mouse controls frequently. Getting x and y coordinates using windowspy is a pain. In PMC to get mouse coordinates you just right click the screen and all 4 coordinates are populated. For imagesearch and ocr just right click and drag and all 4 coordinates are populated. Then you can adjust the search area to pixel precision with the arrow buttons.

And sure there's no support, but the latest version works great in Windows 10 as is. Yes there are bugs and some flaws but nothing that's a deal breaker. This may change in the future.
gregster

24 Apr 2024, 18:38

rockitdontstopit wrote:
24 Apr 2024, 16:29
PMC is much better and efficient if you're like me and use imagesearch, ocr, and mouse controls frequently. Getting x and y coordinates using windowspy is a pain. In PMC to get mouse coordinates you just right click the screen and all 4 coordinates are populated. For imagesearch and ocr just right click and drag and all 4 coordinates are populated. Then you can adjust the search area to pixel precision with the arrow buttons.
If there only was a flexible and powerful scripting language which would allow to create all kinds of custom scripts which could easily replace or supplement Window Spy, and would also allow to use OCR, Imagesearch and controlling the mouse (in addition to uncounted other libraries)? :D 🤷‍♂️
Huh, what about this AutoHotkey scripting language I hear about regularly?!? It seems PMC is actually written in that language and even allows to export its macros to it... perhaps AHK is not so limited after all.

btw, creating subroutines for determining coordinates is certainly no rocket science (and has be done regularly), once you know the AHK basics. But if it seems like rocket science anyway, perhaps PMC prevents people from learning programming. :think:
(Of course, not everyone is interested in learning programming - and that's absolutely fine. It's just that the AHK support forums might not be the best place for them.)
rockitdontstopit

24 Apr 2024, 19:33

gregster wrote:
btw, creating subroutines for determining coordinates is certainly no rocket science (and has be done regularly), once you know the AHK basics. But if it seems like rocket science anyway, perhaps PMC prevents people from learning programming. :think:
(Of course, not everyone is interested in learning programming - and that's absolutely fine. It's just that the AHK support forums might not be the best place for them.)
I think it's irksome to you that this thread has been viewed over 4,800 times. The original title of this thread, "Recording Macros for AHK." Clearly, people are interested in automating everyday tasks on their PCs without the need to "learn programming", but you belittle them.
gregster

24 Apr 2024, 20:06

rockitdontstopit wrote:
24 Apr 2024, 19:33
gregster wrote:
I think it's irksome to you that this thread has been viewed over 4,800 times. The original title of this thread, "Recording Macros for AHK." Clearly, people are interested in automating everyday tasks on their PCs without the need to "learn programming", but you belittle them.
I couldn't care less about the views and hadn't noticed them 🤷‍♂️. Our forum software has a history of showing crazy high views for random topics anyway - that's why I never look at those numbers; I would guess that it even counts the regular visits of Google and Bing bots. (The topic was created in 2020, btw, and had some time to collect views. Yet no one posted here for years.)
If I wanted to bury the topic, I surely wouldn't bump it several times by responding to you. As an evil moderator with a hidden agenda, I would have other options. But that's not what we do. I prefer giving some personal advice as an AHK user for 18 (?) years to newcomers coming to the AHK forums - that's why I wouldn't mind if people read this topic. They can take it or leave it.

I noticed already many years ago that the Pulover subforum seems almost completely disconnected from the AHK community because PMC gets rarely used by most regular forum posters, and so help requests often remain unanswered for much longer times than the big majority of AHK help requests - simply because most people don't have PMC installed, lack interest and/or rarely use it.

It's natural that the AHK forums are a support forum for the ones programming in AHK. This is a declared goal of the AHK Foundation. That has nothing to do with belittling exclusive PMC users. It's simply a different crowd - and only a fraction of them are active in the actual AHK forums. If you add the problematic adware issue and the apparent abandonment of PMC, I clearly see better priorities for the AHK community. Yet we still keep the subforum - you could say, it has been grandfathered in - which we wouldn't have to do, if we would feel irked.
To be clear, this is my personal opinion, but at least since the adware problem, PMC has surely lost a good amount of sympathy among the staff. It was either the current disclaimer or disabling the subforum...
rockitdontstopit

24 Apr 2024, 20:37

gregster wrote:
(The topic was created in 2020, btw, and had some time to collect views. Yet no one posted here for years.)
Just realized this. So you can take about 50% of of the spiciness away from my previous statements regarding this post.
gregster

24 Apr 2024, 20:44

rockitdontstopit wrote:
24 Apr 2024, 20:37
gregster wrote:
(The topic was created in 2020, btw, and had some time to collect views. Yet no one posted here for years.)
Just realized this. So you can take about 50% of of the spiciness away from my previous statements regarding this post.
No worries. As a chili sauce aficionado, I can handle spicy. ;)

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”