Macro Recorder???

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v2 or newer) and its commands and hotkeys
brucemc777

Macro Recorder???

02 Jan 2024, 16:57

Just a quick question -

I downloaded AutoHotkey as it was listed as the top Windows macro recorder at https://productivityschool.io/apps/macro-recorders/windows, but from a quick look, it honestly is NOT a macro recorder, is it?

I wish to create a shortcut that will execute the Windows Snipping Tool, get a partial screen image from the second monitor, then print that image to a file in a specific directory - the process involves both mouse and keyboard work, which is why i am looking for an actual recorder.

Many thanks for what you can tell me!

-Bruce
andymbody

Re: Macro Recorder???

02 Jan 2024, 19:03

AHK... a macro recorder? No, not really. It's scripting language which should be able to do what you describe, and more. But there might be a recorder out there somewhere that can build a limited script for you. I don't know of one, but others may point you to one if it exists.

Scite4autohotkey has a recorder, but I haven't used it and it looks very limited at first glance.
gregster

02 Jan 2024, 19:09

For AHK v1, there is - for example - this simple mouse and keyboard recorder by feiyue: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34184

Pulover's Macro Creator, also mentioned in the link in the OP's post above, is another (but much more complex) macro recorder progammed in AHK v1. Its macros can be exported to AHK code, but imho it's easier to directly program in AHK.
andymbody wrote:
02 Jan 2024, 19:03
Scite4autohotkey has a recorder, but I haven't used it and it looks very limited at first glance.
Afaik, this is meant for simple macros inside of the editor - while programming with it, not to automate other applications. I never used it though, since I could use AHK instead. But I might be wrong.
flyingDman

02 Jan 2024, 19:25

brucemc777 wrote:
I wish to create a shortcut that will execute the Windows Snipping Tool, get a partial screen image from the second monitor, then print that image to a file in a specific directory - the process involves both mouse and keyboard work, which is why i am looking for an actual recorder.
Your logic is somewhat flawed because you do not need a recorder to accomplish these tasks. AHK can accomplish this but is not a recorder. AHK requires you to write the code. If you are looking for a tool that will strictly record your keyboard and mouse movements and replicate these via a shortcut without ever writing a piece of code, AHK is not it.
BTW I would not use the Snipping Tool but AHK's native screen clipping capabilities.
14.3 & 1.3.7
brucemc777

02 Jan 2024, 19:39

Honestly, i was trying to get off lazy.

I do have this i idiot monster Excel project I’ve been working on/with for some seven or eight years with a little over 50k lines of code (not including comment lines), but i get pulled in so many directions i wanted to just get by as simple as possible, kind of like using the macro recorder in Excel, click to start, run through the motions, click to end. Have a whole lot of unnecessary code, but if it works, just be happy.

I appreciate all of your responses VERY much! I guess I’ll try out the suggested ones and if that appears confusing in any way, then it’s time to just learn the syntax…

Again, many thanks.

Happy New Year!!!
-Bruce
FanaticGuru

03 Jan 2024, 18:16

brucemc777 wrote:

You don't really need a macro record just to clip an area of the screen and save to a file. That can all be done programmatically without using Windows Snipping Tool.

viewtopic.php?p=517988#p517988

This shows how to create a file using screen coordinates. I don't know about two monitors but if this script does not work as written it should be easy to modify to work with two monitors, I just do not have two to test.

FG
Hotkey Help - Help Dialog for Currently Running AHK Scripts
AHK Startup - Consolidate Multiply AHK Scripts with one Tray Icon
Hotstring Manager - Create and Manage Hotstrings
[Class] WinHook - Create Window Shell Hooks and Window Event Hooks
brucemc777

04 Jan 2024, 11:56

@ FanaticGuru - Interesting, and i have some learning to do- i am finding the prior posts you made on Snipper (March 31 and April 17 2023) also worthwhile study!
william_ahk

05 Jan 2024, 08:48

Actually, I'm with you. Sometimes there are those one-off tasks that just aren't worth to write code for. TinyTask is an amazing macro tool for this. It records and plays back smooth and exact mouse movements. Extremely simple and intuitive. Not to mention its small size (36KB). I absolutely adore.

Return to “Ask for Help (v2)”