Overriding other app's window style without a flash

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v2 or newer) and its commands and hotkeys
eugenesv

Overriding other app's window style without a flash

12 Mar 2024, 13:33

I have code that removes various window elements like title that I apply to an app's window on launch via Run an app, WinWait until it's window appears, then applying WinSetStyle (and then adjusting window size, position to match the old one)

However, this "flashes": you first see the window with the title, which then gets removed, and the window is repositioned

One workaround is to launch the app minimized, apply the styles, then restore it. But then some apps simply ignore this directive.

Is there a more reliable way to force the window to be created already with the adjusted styles? Maybe somehow hook into the window creation instead of waiting for the window to be created and changing the styles later?

(by the way, the MS docs mention that most of the styles can't be set after a window is created window-styles, though AHK can set them just find, what's up with that?)
FanaticGuru

Re: Overriding other app's window style without a flash

13 Mar 2024, 17:22

eugenesv wrote:
12 Mar 2024, 13:33
Maybe somehow hook into the window creation instead of waiting for the window to be created and changing the styles later?

You can hook into a AHK window before it is displayed but not another application's window before it opens without using a separate custom DLL file.

It is the difference between using SetWinEventHook and SetWinEventHookEx if you want to do some research.

At least that is my understanding.

FG
Hotkey Help - Help Dialog for Currently Running AHK Scripts
AHK Startup - Consolidate Multiply AHK Scripts with one Tray Icon
Hotstring Manager - Create and Manage Hotstrings
[Class] WinHook - Create Window Shell Hooks and Window Event Hooks
eugenesv

14 Mar 2024, 03:14

I see, then I guess I'd also need to implement all the logic inside that DLL file. Do you know whether it's actually possible, though, not to only apply styles, but update window size/position, and, crucially, do all that before a window is shown?
FanaticGuru

14 Mar 2024, 13:59

eugenesv wrote:
14 Mar 2024, 03:14
I see, then I guess I'd also need to implement all the logic inside that DLL file. Do you know whether it's actually possible, though, not to only apply styles, but update window size/position, and, crucially, do all that before a window is shown?

Yes, the SetWinEventHookEx approach is doable, but the DLL needs to be written in a language other than AHK (C++ typically).

SetWinEventHook lets an application hook into its own windows to let that application handle the event. It runs code in the application which uses the same language as the application was written in. SetWinEventHookEx is a lower-level hook that basically runs a DLL on an event. The DLL needs to be in machine code so basically you need a true compiled language to get to that machine code.

You could probably create the DLL in C++ then use something like MCode in AHK to package and wrap it all in AHK. Because machine code is ready to go code, AHK can put it into memory and execute it. This is often done when you want the high level easy of using AHK but need speed, so you have AHK execute stuff like a machine code function. Although, it would be much easier to just have the DLL as a separate file for using SetWinEventHookEx.

At least that is my understanding, I am no expert only somewhat familiar.

Unless you are already pretty proficient in something like C++, I would look at trying to work out the kinks in the approach of running the application minimized, making changes, and then restoring the window.

FG
Hotkey Help - Help Dialog for Currently Running AHK Scripts
AHK Startup - Consolidate Multiply AHK Scripts with one Tray Icon
Hotstring Manager - Create and Manage Hotstrings
[Class] WinHook - Create Window Shell Hooks and Window Event Hooks

Return to “Ask for Help (v2)”